The Various Poker Types
Card games are very popular in both the traditional casino and online casino world. Most card games require a certain level of skill and strategy so it’s a very rewarding and entertaining. If you’re not aware of the types of card games you can play, we’ll be explaining a few that you can play today. We’ll be talking about various card games including Texas Hold’ em and 7 card stud and explaining some helpful terms you may need.
UNDERSTANDING THE ONLINE CASINO CARD GAMES
A card game is a game that’s played using a set of playing cards and has a set of rules that define the winner. When it comes to casino card games – the winner wins the bets from the rest of the players if he forms the highest winning combination.
TEXAS HOLD ‘EM CARD GAME
The first card game we’ll be talking about is Texas Hold’ em. Texas Hold ‘em is the most popular variant of poker. This particular casino game is a great place to start if you’re new to the casino world.
A game of Texas Hold ‘em poker will begin with the dealer shuffling a standard deck of 52 cards. Cards will be dealt to players clockwise and all players will be given 2 cards. The aim of the game is to get the best 5-card hand possible. Different betting rounds will take place including the preflop, flop, turn, and river. At the end, a community card will be turned over. Players will then pick their best 5-card combination from their 7 cards. The winner is the person with the best hand.
- Action – An action refers to when it’s your turn or when you want to place or raise a bet. This term can also be used when lots of betting and raising takes place.
- Muck – When you fold, the cards go into a place called the muck.
- Preflop – The preflop is the 1st betting round in a game of poker.
- Flop – The flop is the 2nd betting round in a game of poker.
- Turn – The turn is the 3rd betting round in a game of poker.
- River – The river is the 4th betting round in a game of poker. Shortly after this, a winner will be revealed.
Ohama is another poker card game. It’s similar to Texas Hold ‘em but even more exciting and potentially rewarding. Rather than being given 2 cards, you’ll be dealt with 4 hole cards. Just like Texas Hold’ em, there are 5 community cards in this game with betting rounds including a flop, turn and river. The betting rounds are also played in exactly the same way. Ohama is played with a limit or pot-limit. It’s a quick game and require more skill and strategy so isn’t for beginners.
- Blockers – Blockers refer to when you hold 2 or 3 key cards that your opponent needs.
- Bet the pot – In a game of Omaha, the bet sizes differ in size. Basically, this is when you raise the money that’s in the pot.
- Dangler – A card that doesn’t go well with the other cards in your hand.
- Scoop – A scoop is when you win both high and low sides of the pot with the same hand.
SEVEN-CARD STUD POKER GAME
Before Texas Hold ‘em was really popular, seven-card stud was the most popular card game. Seven-card stud is a card game that’s played with 2 to 8 players. This has no flop or community cards. To begin with, the dealer will deal 2 cards face down and 1 card face up. Once all the rounds are complete, you’ll have 7 cards. From these 7 cards, you’ll pick your best combination of 5 cards. The winner is the person with the best 5-card combination.
- Hole cards – Hole cards are the cards that are dealt face down.
- Fourth street – Fourth street refers to the 4th card dealt face up.
- Fifth street – Fifth street refers to the 5th card dealt face up.
- Sixth street -Sixth street refers to the 6th card dealt face up.
- Seventh street – Seventh street refers to the 7th card dealt face up.
- Pot – The pot is a place where bets are held and is what a player will win.
- Bet – When a bet is made, you’ll place money in the pot.
2-7 TRIPLE DRAW
2-7 triple draw is an advanced poker game. It works in the total opposite way that a traditional poker game would. The aim of 2-7 triple draw is to get the lowest 5-card hand possible. There are 4 betting rounds in this game where 3 draws take place in each. When a new round begins, all players will choose cards to discard. You can choose to discard as little as 0 cards and as much as 5 cards. New cards will take their place. The winner is the player who has the smallest hand.
- Blinds – Just like in other card games, there’s a small and big blind. These are what stimulates action at the table.
- No limit – If a game has no limit, you can bet all of your chips.
- Pot limit – A pot limit game is where you can any amount.
- Fixed limit – In a fixed limit game, you can bet in increments on a fixed scale.
- Showdown – The showdown is where a winner is determined.
LAST THOUGHTS ON ONLINE CASINO CARD GAMES
In summary, there are so many exciting card games that you can play. There are so many more than what we have explained so take a look around our website to discover including blackjack and 3-card poker. Hopefully, we have given you some inspiration to play more than just the standard game of poker.
If you want to play something that feels familiar, you’re wanting to improve your strategies or you are a beginner, Texas Hold’ em is a good place to start as it’s a nice and easy poker game. It’s also really popular so you’re bound to love it. If you’re looking to feel a bit more challenged and have more experience with card games then 2-7 triple draw is a great card game to play. Once you have done more research, practiced a lot and developed your own strategies to increase your chances of winning then you will find playing card games really fun and exciting. On Cozino, you can also access over 500 slots online.